Some Benefits to Asphalt Shingle Roofs
For these reasons and many others, asphalt shingles are the most popular choice for roofing:
- Low cost – compared to other types of roofing materials, asphalt shingles are clearly the most economic option.
- Long lifespan – usually they can last 25 years or longer, depending on the shingles chosen.
- Wide variety of colors – everything from basic black to bright red, you will find an option that meets your design ideas.
- Resistant to wind – they do well under most strong wind situations.
- High fire resistance
- Lightweight – compared to other types of materials, shingles can be applied to most roofs without any extra engineering required (unlike tile).
Monroe Roofing – Reliable Service in Rochester, NY
What Makes Up an Asphalt Shingle?
Surface - Granulated Layer
This is the portion of the shingle that is visible when the roof is complete. It provides the color of the roof as well as offers UV protection to the shingle, allowing it to last longer. This layer can also prevent heat from getting through to the structure of the house, keeping the house cooler.
This is what provides for a waterproof roof, protecting the home from water’s damage. This is also where most of the weight of the shingle comes from.
The base is the frame, or, put another way, the part that provides the structure of the shingle. Most shingles today are fiberglass, and it is the base where you can find the fiberglass. This layer is what holds the whole shingle together.
If you look at a shingle before it is installed, you will see what looks like a dotted line on it. This is adhesive and it holds the shingle above from rising with the wind.
Simply put, this is the area where the shingle must be nailed down.